The Cox House House – Designed by Bruce Goff - is a combination of brick, concrete, steel, and glass. The room is constructed of concrete Flexicore planks that are 12” wide, 6” thick, with 4-1/2” holes pierced thru the length. This effect was intended to provide a double roof with insulation. The roof is supported by three-dimensional steel trusses that lift the roof above the walls. Plate glass windows complete the walls. There are no conventional doors in the house, with the exception of the exterior doors. All interior doors are plastic accordion-style doors. The windows are plate glass with vents beneath and do not open. The house does not contain any wallpaper or plaster. All walls are concrete and brick with walnut paneling.
Bruce Goff (1904-1982) was born in the small town of Alton, Kansas. His family moved to various cities in Oklahoma. Goff began his career at the age of 12 working for an architect. By the age of 14 one of his designs was published and when he was 17 one of his designs was under construction. By the age of 21 he had designed 25 structures, of which 12 were built. Bruce Goff was a student of Frank Lloyd Wright and later served as department head for the University of Oklahoma School of Architecture.
Bruce Goff designed the Cox House in 1949 for Julius and Opal Cox. He was commissioned by Julius Cox at the request of Mr. Cox’s son Winton who served with Goff during the war. Julius Cox was the general contractor for the home. Compared to Bruce Goff’s other works, the Cox House is considered conservative, yet distinctive.
Julius Cox commissioned Goff again in 1959 to add on a bedroom, a porch and basement. By previous agreement, all architecture changes had to be designed and approved by Goff. Cox was again the general contractor for the addition.
Bruce Goff, architect for the Cox House